Skip to main content

Around This Town





For many of us, the early 90s punk rock Renaissance was both a comeuppance and an awakening ~ an undeniable emergence of new exciting sounds and an uneasiness all about . The brief post cold war calm was broken when the Bush's muscled their way into Kuwait and used the world's greatest military force to blatantly advance the corporate interests of America and their own family. And this was happening at a time when science and technology were propelling us into an unprecedented realm. Automation, computerization and global communications were becoming a real priority which was equal parts exciting and ominous for many. Not to mention, all those kids pumped out by boomers were now in their late teens and early twenty's. Middle America and suburbs around the world were soon teeming with bored, belligerent and beguiled young adults facing a future rife with uncertainty. So, a significant uptick in punk bands, therefore a significant uptick in punk labels, distros and shops ... thus leading to an uptick of compilations!!! It was an explosion really. Compilations have been a big part of punk rock since its dawning, but with these upticks and advent of CDs over vinyl making production, shipping and distribution more affordable, the 90s became a golden era for comps on this medium. I lived in many places during that decade, and every payday I would visit my local or nearest record shop(s) -- sometimes not near at all -- often picking up two or three dozen CDs at a time. I always made a rule to make 25% of my haul compilations so I could keep apprised of what was out there. A habit I carried out diligently through to the late 2000s in fact. By 2005/06ish however, I had come to realize that heyday had long past and the 90s really stood out as this 'gilded age' of digging where you still had to work for it, but you were often rewarded for your efforts in abundance. So many killer comps that opened so many more doors to me. The older I get the fewer I remember in detail but this post is essentially inspired by a collection I will never forget, and have for more than two decades considered to be ... the last great punk rock compilation of the 1990s. Now, if you've guessed TKO Records' Punch Drunk Vol. 1, you've guessed correct. I suspect anyone repeat visiting here will be well acquainted with this beastly beauty! I remember gleefully grabbing this one up at A&B Sound one afternoon, the boxer on the cover bears resemblance to my grandpa so it immediately caught my eye. When I flipped it over and saw who was featured, my jaw hit the floor. I knew more than half of the bands on it and liked almost all of them quite a bit. Most had songs that were new to me and I was also pretty excited to check out their labelmates of course. Most of which were equally excellent with particular stand-outs by Beltones, Loose Lips, The Upsets, and as you may have guessed by the title above, Dead End Cruisers. Along with other cuts on this comp, Around This Town made an immediate and lasting impression. I of course ordered both their EPs and full length already issued by TKO and then began hunting down their previous more obscure offerings. Unfortunately I was late to the party and the Cruisers would soon peter out, but not before releasing one more fantastic full-length, and I was able to catch one of their final shows. I have since accrued most of their early 7 inches, singles and other rarities and more than 25 years later, I'm still returning to the Cruisers on a regular basis. Absolutely love these lads! Apologies for the real long winded way about getting to that point, nostalgia got the better of me there.

Dead End Cruisers were a 4-pc punk rock outfit from Austin, Texas. They were active from 1994 to 2000, they released just over a handful of singles and two full length albums during their tenure, then briefly reunited in the later 2000's. Though palatable as, they are often associated with streetpunk and oi! but I chalk that up mostly to their British-born lead singer, Neil's vocals and the bands close relationship with Lower Class Brats. They certainly draw influence from The Clash, but just as much as they do from The Ramones, proto-punk and plain old rock'n'roll of a more classic pedigree. Their style was by no means sloppy but definitely unrefined, while their lyrics were relatable, original and often painted fairly vivid pictures of Austin's punk community. To honor this band I still believe to be one of the great hidden gems of the 90s, I've got a special collection of their complete singles and rarities. Around This Town gathers 25 cuts total, featuring their long out of print vinyl, the ultra-rare demo tape, comp appearances, and more. The tracks have been restored, repaired and/or remastered for your listening pleasure.



Dead End Cruisers - Around This Town [Singles & Rarities] (PukeGreenPinto CGS1X-PGPR-1001)


01 - Dead End Cruisers - 1994 - Just As Well (Self Released Cassette Demo)
02 - Dead End Cruisers - 1994 - Nothing Left (Self Released Cassette Demo)   
03 - Dead End Cruisers - 1994 - Twitch And A Nod (Self Released Cassette Demo)
04 - Dead End Cruisers - 1994 - Ninety Five (Self Released Cassette Demo)   
05 - Dead End Cruisers - 1995 - It Doesn't Matter (Up Yours 7" UY10)
06 - Dead End Cruisers - 1995 - Four Good Men (Up Yours 7" UY10)
07 - Dead End Cruisers - 1995 - Just As Well (Up Yours 7" UY10)
08 - Dead End Cruisers - 1995 - One Plus One (Up Yours 7" UY10)
09 - Dead End Cruisers - 1995 - It Doesn't Matter (Pogostick CD PSR-010) {rel;1997}
10 - Dead End Cruisers - 1996 - Who's Who? (Scooch Pooch 7" P022)
11 - Dead End Cruisers - 1996 - Last Temptation (Scooch Pooch 7" P022)
12 - Dead End Cruisers - 1996 - Father Christmas (Black Hole CD HO-017)
13 - Dead End Cruisers - 1996 - Who's Who? [comp mix] (Scooch Pooch CD 0628-2)
14 - Dead End Cruisers - 1997 - Methadone Kids (Second To None 7" no#)
15 - Dead End Cruisers - 1997 - Just As Well (Second To None 7" no#)
16 - Dead End Cruisers - 1997 - Most Likely (Pelado CD P.R. 006)
17 - Dead End Cruisers - 1998 - Friday Nights (TKO 7" Round 07)
18 - Dead End Cruisers - 1998 - I Can't Explain (TKO 7" Round 07)
19 - Dead End Cruisers - 1998 - Around This Town (TKO 7" Round 07)
20 - Dead End Cruisers - 1998 - Another Night (TKO 7" Round 19)
21 - Dead End Cruisers - 1998 - Live Young (TKO 7" Round 19)
22 - Dead End Cruisers - 1998 - Do Anything You Wanna Do (TKO 7" Round 19)
23 - Dead End Cruisers - 1999 - Courting And Contracts (Unity Squad 7" USR-006)
24 - Dead End Cruisers - 1999 - Got Let Down (Unity Squad 7" USR-006)
25 - Dead End Cruisers - 2000 - Drinkin' Wine [hidden track] (Unity Squad CD USR-008)


ATT


NOTES:
tracks 01-04 recorded at Midget Studios in Austin, TX.
tracks 05-08 recorded [supposedly] at an unnamed gay bar in Austin, TX.
tracks 09,12 unknown recording details.
tracks 10,11,13 recorded by Jeffrey Pinkus at Honest Abe's Studio in Austin, TX. produced by Brew Zerr.
tracks 14-16 recorded by Mike Vasquez at Sweatbox Studios in Austin TX.  produced by Mike Vasquez.
tracks 17-22 recorded and produced by Mark Nathan at Sweatbox Studios in Austin, TX.
tracks 23,24 recorded by Rob McWhorter at X-Static Studios in Logan, UT. produced by Mark Nathan.
track 25 recorded and produced by Mark Nathan at Congress House Studio in Austin, TX.

tracks 14-25 co-produced and arranged by Dead End Cruisers.


track 12 originally performed by The Kinks
track 17 contains portions of 'The Boys Are Back In Town' originally performed by Thin Lizzy
track 18 originally performed by The Who
track 22 originally performed by Eddie And The Hot Rods
track 25 originally performed by Stick McGhee & His Buddies (and popularized in 1973 by Jerry Lee Lewis)



Members:
Bass, BV - Dave O'Hooligan
Drums, BV - Brent Schumacher
Lead Guitar, BV - Seth Rogers (1994-1996)
Lead Guitar, BV - Graham Mills (1997-2000)
Harmonica – "Sweet" Pete Murray (#22)
Vocals, Guitar - Neil Curran



https://www.discogs.com/artist/1187999-Dead-End-Cruisers

http://fasterandlouderblog.blogspot.com/2012/01/f-l-hall-of-fame-dead-end-cruisers.html



Popular posts from this blog

Never Made It

It now seems only appropriate to kick off this little endeavor with the aforementioned Peter & The Test Tube Babies . Still gigging in 2026 and led by the same core pair that started the group back in Peacehaven, East Sussex circa 1978. Most people categorize the Test Tube Babies as punk pathetique and in all fairness, they have a great deal of material (including more recent recordings) to support that classification. However, they really are just a multi-faceted band with a strong sense of self, a wild sense of humor and see no sense in limiting, labeling or censoring themselves. I think they're just punk AF ~ always have been, always will be! I've been a fan almost 40 years to the day and I still can't make it through a week without a dose. Peter & The Test Tube Babies - Never Made It [Anthology 1979-2025] (PukeGreenPinto 2X-PGPR-002) 101 - Peter & The Test Tube Babies - 1991 - The Gardener 102 - Peter & The Test Tube Babies - 2011 - Youth Of Today 103 - ...

Welcome

40 YEARS A PUNK! By all "official" accounts punk music has been a thing for 50 years now ... debatable given the origins of select outfits, but I leave that discussion to the nit-pickers. By all factual accounts, summer of 1986 was MY first real foray into the wide world of punk rock and I've never looked back. It's the only good thing my older brother ever did for me in fact. Unintentionally of course. We had moved to Canada from the UK a few years prior where my brother who was eight years older than I first fell in love with bands like The Clash, The Specials, Cock Sparrer and Stiff Little Fingers. By 84-85ish he was taking regular trips from our home in Nova Scotia to NYC, Detroit, Toronto and Montreal to check out bands, hunt for records, DJ, make and trade bootlegs, etc. Upon return from these trips he'd lock himself away for days, spinning all his new wares. I'd already heard many of these bands in the background but was so young and preoccupied I hadn...

All Night Long

Quite possibly the greatest gunk band you've never heard of!!?? On one hand, in the PNW garage punk bands are a dime a dozen, on the other hand however, The Spitfires ' live show quickly became a thing of legend. For a decade or so these seasoned road warriors laid waste to countless stages up and down the west coast -- and beyond -- becoming hometown heroes in the process, and inspiring a number of bands who have obtained greater notoriety. They recorded several albums and singles, mostly self produced. Like most punk rock of this pedigree and era, The Spitfires sound lands firmly somewhere between AC/DC and New Bomb Turks. Their gigs (beit a big stage or in small smelly basements) always had an air of volatility about them, like it could all just go right off the rails at any moment. Yet somehow on the cusp of chaos, they'd capture lightening in a bottle, snort it back with a couple whiskey shots, and well.... spit fire! every. damn. time. I really miss this band! The Spi...