Skip to main content

No More Waves






Fairly sure the first few times I heard Smogtown was late 90s / early 00s via Duane Peters' Disaster CD compilations, definitely sure that I didn't like it ... at least not those selections, or at that time I guess. It wasn't until they'd announced their split in 04/05 that I really became acquainted with them. My bud Barry was a big fan and lent me their modest stack of records after ripping them one afternoon. So very glad I got a second chance with these lads. It was refreshing to hear an Orange County outfit channeling the local sounds of yesteryear (early TSOL / Vandals vibes) but with enough of their own bravado and brandished edge to distinguish themselves in a scene swamped with pretenders. I was gassed when they reformed a couple years later, releasing an EP on TKO Records with announcements of an album soon to come but sadly by "soon", they meant nearly 5 years, at which point many fans had already written them off. However, during that stretch and since that ill-fated final album of 2011, this band has grown on me like an inoperable tumor that I will gladly take to the grave.



Smogtown - No More Waves [Anthology 1995-2011] (PukeGreenPinto 2X-PGPR-003)


101 - Smogtown - Suicide (Disaster CD DSR-9020)
102 - Smogtown - Secret Agent Superstar (Disaster CD DSR-9020)
103 - Smogtown - That's The Difference (Disaster CD DSR-9020)
104 - Smogtown - Blue Murder (Disaster CD DSR-9020)
105 - Smogtown - No More Waves (Disaster CD DSR-9020)
106 - Smogtown - Switchblade New Wave (Dead Beat LP DB-22)
107 - Smogtown - (I'm A) Jerk (Hostage HR-006)
108 - Smogtown - Two Stroke (Dead Beat EP DB-25)
109 - Smogtown - Bad Vibrations (Dead Beat EP DB-25)
110 - Smogtown - No More Waves (Dead Beat EP DB-25)
111 - Smogtown - Losin' It (Hostage HR-012)
112 - Smogtown - Teen Age (Disaster CD DSR-9001)
113 - Smogtown - Payola Or Die (Disaster CD DSR-9001)
114 - Smogtown - Judy's A Model (Disaster CD DSR-9001)
115 - Smogtown - I Am The Cancer (Disaster CD DSR-9001)
116 - Smogtown - Führers Of The New Wave (Disaster CD DSR-9001)
117 - Smogtown - Fucked Off (Hostage HR-026)
118 - Smogtown - Audiophile (Hostage HR-026)
119 - Smogtown - Sneaking Out (Disaster CD DSR-9008-2)
120 - Smogtown - Breakdown Shakedown (Disaster CD DSR-9008-2)


201 - Smogtown - Here Come Those Freaks Again (Disaster CD DSR-9008-2)
202 - Smogtown - Domesticviolenceland (Disaster CD DSR-9008-2)
203 - Smogtown - Neutron Blond (Disaster CD DSR-9008-2)
204 - Smogtown - Enough With The Psychosis (TKO ROUND-125)
205 - Smogtown - You'll Be Observed (TKO ROUND-125)
206 - Smogtown - I'm The Cancer [LIVE] (No Front Teeth EP NFTR-215) **
207 - Smogtown - Subdivision End Product [LIVE] (No Front Teeth EP NFTR-215) **
208 - Smogtown - I'm A Jerk [LIVE] (No Front Teeth EP NFTR-215) **
209 - Smogtown - Ugly American Makeover (TKO ROUND-160)
210 - Smogtown - White Picket Electric Fence (TKO ROUND-160)
211 - Smogtown - Ignored News (Modern Action CD MAR-015)
212 - Smogtown - If We All Have Guns We Can Melt All The Love (Modern Action CD MAR-015)
213 - Smogtown - Let's String Up The New Marketeers (Modern Action CD MAR-015)
214 - Smogtown - Community Disservice (Modern Action CD MAR-015)
215 - Smogtown - Subdivision End Product (Modern Action CD MAR-015)
216 - Smogtown - You Don't Like What We Do For A Living See How We Die (Hostage HR-044)


NMW


NOTES:
all tracks written by Smogtown

track 106 produced by Stag Destro
tracks 112-116 produced by Duane Peters
tracks 119-203 produced by Smogtown and Rob Milucky

all other tracks produced by Smogtown

**this is a live recording of the last show Smogtown played as its original 4 piece line-up.
it was also the first time 'Subdivision End Product' was played live, as it was written 2 weeks prior to this show.



https://www.discogs.com/artist/874373-Smogtown

https://www.facebook.com/people/Smogtown/100028371802126/


Popular posts from this blog

Never Made It

It now seems only appropriate to kick off this little endeavor with the aforementioned Peter & The Test Tube Babies . Still gigging in 2026 and led by the same core pair that started the group back in Peacehaven, East Sussex circa 1978. Most people categorize the Test Tube Babies as punk pathetique and in all fairness, they have a great deal of material (including more recent recordings) to support that classification. However, they really are just a multi-faceted band with a strong sense of self, a wild sense of humor and see no sense in limiting, labeling or censoring themselves. I think they're just punk AF ~ always have been, always will be! I've been a fan almost 40 years to the day and I still can't make it through a week without a dose. Peter & The Test Tube Babies - Never Made It [Anthology 1979-2025] (PukeGreenPinto 2X-PGPR-002) 101 - Peter & The Test Tube Babies - 1991 - The Gardener 102 - Peter & The Test Tube Babies - 2011 - Youth Of Today 103 - ...

Welcome

40 YEARS A PUNK! By all "official" accounts punk music has been a thing for 50 years now ... debatable given the origins of select outfits, but I leave that discussion to the nit-pickers. By all factual accounts, summer of 1986 was MY first real foray into the wide world of punk rock and I've never looked back. It's the only good thing my older brother ever did for me in fact. Unintentionally of course. We had moved to Canada from the UK a few years prior where my brother who was eight years older than I first fell in love with bands like The Clash, The Specials, Cock Sparrer and Stiff Little Fingers. By 84-85ish he was taking regular trips from our home in Nova Scotia to NYC, Detroit, Toronto and Montreal to check out bands, hunt for records, DJ, make and trade bootlegs, etc. Upon return from these trips he'd lock himself away for days, spinning all his new wares. I'd already heard many of these bands in the background but was so young and preoccupied I hadn...

All Night Long

Quite possibly the greatest gunk band you've never heard of!!?? On one hand, in the PNW garage punk bands are a dime a dozen, on the other hand however, The Spitfires ' live show quickly became a thing of legend. For a decade or so these seasoned road warriors laid waste to countless stages up and down the west coast -- and beyond -- becoming hometown heroes in the process, and inspiring a number of bands who have obtained greater notoriety. They recorded several albums and singles, mostly self produced. Like most punk rock of this pedigree and era, The Spitfires sound lands firmly somewhere between AC/DC and New Bomb Turks. Their gigs (beit a big stage or in small smelly basements) always had an air of volatility about them, like it could all just go right off the rails at any moment. Yet somehow on the cusp of chaos, they'd capture lightening in a bottle, snort it back with a couple whiskey shots, and well.... spit fire! every. damn. time. I really miss this band! The Spi...